Care Home Staff Training for Medicines Management
You need to be a care worker providing services to adults in a care home setting.
Basic training is essential before any member of staff working in a care home can administer medicines to people.
This resource is for use by pharmacists or pharmacy technicians. It equips them to provide a training course for care home staff to provide them with the knowledge and skills required to administer medicines safely within a care home setting. The resource consists of a tutorial for the trainer, a presentation for use by the trainer with care staff, a comprehensive workbook and course materials for care staff and assessment methods.
How is this course delivered?
Our Care Home Staff Training for Medicines Management Course is assessed via multiple choice and short answer questions which can be completed online or paper based. Care home staff will receive their certificate once they have passed the questions.
- Tutor fee: £60 + VAT
- Learner fee: £30 + VAT
On completion of the workbook learners will:
- Understand the legal requirements that apply when handling medicines and the correct procedures to follow
- Be able to describe different types of medicines and how they are classified
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of those involved in prescribing, dispensing and supporting the use of medicines
- Know about some of the common types of medicines and their use
- Know how medicines used in care homes should be ordered, received and stored
- Know how to support people to self-administer their medicines
- Know how to administer certain types of medicines to service users
- Be able to use reliable and up-to-date resources and websites to find information about medicines
Our online training resource pack for course tutors consists of:
- A tutor guide
- A presentation aid (PowerPoint)
- Access to online resources and updates
- Learner workbook
Online resources and updates are available for tutors delivering the training course on the Buttercups website. Buttercups Training will manage the registration, assessment and issuing of certificates to care home staff who successfully complete the course.