Community Health and Wellbeing Worker Apprenticeship
The Community Health and Wellbeing Worker (CHWW) Standard equips individuals with the skills and knowledge required to engage with individuals and communities, identify local health priorities and work in partnership to promote positive, lasting change. The importance of CHWW roles is increasingly being recognised in primary and secondary healthcare settings, as well as in private, social care and voluntary sectors.
The broad purpose of the Community Health and Wellbeing Worker (CHWW) role is to work in partnership with individuals and their communities to identify and address health and wellbeing needs, improve health, prevent ill-health and reduce inequalities. The level 3 apprenticeship standard provides the core knowledge and skills applicable to all related sectors whilst providing flexible learning opportunities to allow individuals to gain confidence in their own workplace. Further details on the CHWW role, the occupational duties and learning outcomes of the apprenticeship can be accessed by clicking here.
The CHWW apprenticeship is applicable to a wide range of roles, including but not limited to:
- Social Prescribing link Worker
- Community Connector
- Care Navigator
- Health Champion
- Health Trainers
- Live Well Coaches
Please read our programme information pack before enrolling
- Must have a right to work and abode in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least the previous three years. Additional eligibility rules apply to EEA nationals and non-UK nationals
- Must be aged 18 years old or above
- Must hold a contract of employment for minimum of 30 hours a week
- Must work under the supervision of an approved senior colleague for the duration of the apprenticeship
- Cannot be in full time education or enrolled onto another government funded programme
- Cannot hold a level 4 qualification or above, unless the qualification is "materially different" from the apprenticeship. Queries in relation to prior qualifications will be individually assessed by our specialist tutors
- The workplace is in England
- Must provide a suitable senior colleague working alongside and available to the apprentice to oversee and support the apprentice's training
- Must provide off-the-job (OTJ) training during the apprentice's normal paid working hours.
- This will be approximately 350 hours over the apprenticeship which is the equivalent to 6 - 7 hours a week
- Additional time must be given if the learner needs to undertake additional maths or English training, such as Functional Skills
- Must provide a workplace environment that allows the learner:
- to have regular client-facing experience (in person) during the programme.
- to have unrestricted access to freely available online sources of health data and health promotion information.
- to communicate freely with external organisations including but not limited to NHS and other health and wellbeing services, charities, community groups and local authorities.
- to work alongside other health and care professionals and have the opportunity to collaborate with peers.
The CHWW is an apprenticeship programme that must be funded through an employer’s apprenticeship service account. The maximum cost for the CHWW apprenticeship programme, set out by the funding band, is £7000.
Levy employers pay for the apprenticeship through their levy fund.
Non-levy employers pay 5% towards the overall cost of the programme directly with the remaining 95% funded by the government. For this CHWW programme, this will be a maximum cost of £350+VAT.
For further information about apprenticeship funding, including how to find out whether you are a levy or non-levy paying employer, please visit our apprenticeship information page.
Provides an overview of the roles and responsibilities of the apprentice, workplace training supervisor (WTS) and Buttercups tutor; programme structure and assessment guidance
Professional standards, developing public services and evidence-based practice
Professional duties, public welfare, confidentiality and practical guidelines
Definitions of health and wellbeing, measuring health, influences on health, national and local strategies and barriers to health
Promoting good health, working with individuals, universal personal care, resources and working with volunteers
Identify a small group of volunteers to teach about the principles of Making Every Contact Count in order to deliver a limited service of awareness raising and signposting
Communication, enabling and supporting behaviour change and holistic care
Working with groups, group influence, communicating to groups and social media and digital communication
Commissioning new services, service development and delivery, community-based support and social prescribing
Plan and develop a new health and wellbeing service in response to local need
Final assessment and preparation for end-point assessment and beyond